Projects in Puerto Rico
EcoEléctrica combined cycle power plant
We hold a 50% stake in EcoEléctrica, a company that generates power from natural gas in Punta Guayanilla, Peñuelas, in the south-west of Puerto Rico.
EcoEléctrica began commercial operations in 2000, becoming the first independent power producer in the world to integrate a liquefied natural gas import terminal with an electricity power plant and a seawater desalination plant.
This power plant was the first project in Puerto Rico to produce power with natural gas and produces around 20% of the electricity consumed on the island.
The plant has a 540 MW combined cycle electricity generator that includes:
- Two 180 MW gas turbines.
- One 214 MW steam turbine.
- A heat recovery system.
- An electricity substation.
- A 1,786-foot wharf that receives the ships carrying liquefied natural gas.
- A tank capable of storing one million barrels of natural gas.
- Two seawater desalination plants.
- A tank for alternative fuels, such as propane and diesel.